"Only my closest friends noticed the difference in the size of my lip, but I've never had so many people tell me I look well, and I do feel that my features are more balanced. Some would call it the ultimate vanity, but I call it [money] very well spent."
- Have you always wished your lips were plumper?
- Are your lips losing definition, thinning or drooping with age?
Dr Rita Rakus, known as the 'London Lip Queen', is renowned world-wide for her beautiful, subtle and natural looking lip enhancements. We can give you the luscious celebrity lips you've always dreamed off.
Call 020 7460 7324
Schedule A Complimentary Consultation With Dr Rita Rakus
Beautiful, natural-looking Lip Fillers by Dr Rita Rakus. *Disclaimer: results may vary from person to person.
Our approach to lip enhancement & Lip Fillers
At the Dr Rakus clinic we aim to achieve a subtle effect for your lips so they look natural. Before treatment we offer a complimentary consultation with Dr Rakus, where we will discuss a patient's medical history eg. history of cold sores, and always spend time discussing the desired effect and encourage clients to bring along old photographs of themselves. Lips need to suit your face and strengthening the top lip with subtle enhancement can improve the overall appearance of the lower part of the face. For a good treatment we may need to treat the area around the mouth too.
THE treatment process
The lip filler treatment is quick, lasting just a few minutes. An anaesthetic is applied to the relevant area before the gel is injected, so for those new to this treatment, the process is uncomfortable rather than painful. Usually there is minimal downtime required, but if it is your first treatment we recommend that you find a quiet time in your diary as swelling after treatment can sometimes last for 2-3 days.
At the clinic we use the latest proven, natural hyaluronic gel fillers, which can always be dissolved, including;
FIND OUT WHY DR RAKUS IS KNOWN AS THE LONDON LIP QUEEN
Expert Interview with Nicky Hambleton Jones
Here's what Melissa Gibson of the Sunday Times had to say...
We offer a number of other treatments at the clinic that can work well alongside lip injections to perfect your smile and rejuvenate your face. Visit our Profhilo page or our Anti-Wrinkle Injections page to find out more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Lip filler injections can be used to improve the definition of the lip line, vermilion border, where the lip turns from red to white, as well as the overall shape and size of the lips giving the lips a natural and subtle boost. Filler can also be effective in defining the cupids bow, the two ridges just above the middle part of your upper lip.
The lower lip tends to have more volume than the upper lip and therefore it may not be necessary to treat it. You should discuss your exact requirements and expectations for your lip treatment with the doctor at your initial consultation.
Natural hyaluronic gel fillers are used to treat wrinkles and lines and enhance lips. They contain a crystal-clear gel made from non-animal hyaluronic acid and water. The gel is a biotechnologically produced version of hyaluronic acid, a tissue friendly substance that occurs naturally in the body. Injected into the lips and surrounding area they instantly enhance lips and diminish the effects of wrinkles and lines. They are not collagen and they are not a Botox.
Either Juvederm, Restylane or Princess filler is injected into the skin in tiny quantities using a very fine needle. The gel gives natural volume and smoothes wrinkles and lines or plumps out lips.
The lip enhancement treatment is very quick and often takes less than 30 minutes. No skin test is required because the fillers do not contain any animal derived ingredients, unlike other hyaluronic acid based fillers.
- Natural and safe
- Contain no animal ingredients
- No skin test needed
- Give instant and long lasting results
- Biodegradable and non-permanent
- Fast treatment, takes around 30 minutes
- Clinical data supporting efficacy and safety
Some common injection-related reactions might occur - these reactions include redness, swelling, bruising or tenderness at the injection site. They typically resolve spontaneously within one or two days after treatment; however theses reactions very rarely may take longer to resolve. If syptoms persist after 2-3 days contact the clinic.
A local anaesthetic cream is applied before the treatment to numb the area to reduce any discomfort.
One of the great advantages of natural hyaluronic gel fillers is that the effects are long lasting but not permanent.
For lips, a follow-up treatment is usually needed after about 6 months, but depending on the desired look of the patient, top-ups to optimize the results may be required.
Duration can also depend on many factors, such as skin type, lifestyle, age, the degree of perfection demanded by the patient etc...
Prior to lip enhancement, it is important for the clinician to know if you have had cold sores recently or have experienced problems with cold sores in the past. This is because the cold sore virus can lie dormant in the lips and as such will not cause any problems. However by injecting the lips, the needle can stimulate the virus back into activity again and as a result cold sores can erupt at the injection sites.
Being prone to cold sores does not necessarily mean that the sores will automatically re-emerge after the treatment but there is a risk that this might happen. This risk needs to be discussed fully with the doctor during your initial consultation. It is important to remember that hyaluronic acid gel does not cause cold sores in its own right.
- Pregnancy and breast feeding are contra-indications to treatment.
- Alcohol intake should be reduced at least 24 hours before treatment.
- Medication such as aspirin may cause bruising as will high doses of vitamin E.
- Treatment cannot be performed until ceasing Roaccutane medication for 6 months.
- Sun beds, waxing, electrolysis and laser should be avoided at least 48 hours before treatment.
- Pain sensitivity may be heightened at certain times (pre-menstrual or following excessive alcohol intake).
- Bruising may be reduced by taking Arnica tablets two days before treatment.
- Risk of cold sores may be reduced by the use of Zovirax® tablets.
- Immediately after the treatment there may be slight redness, swelling, tenderness and an itching sensation in the treated area. This is a normal result of the injection. You can soothe the area by applying a cold compress or ice pack for a short amount of time. If the inconvenience continues or if other reactions occur, please contact your doctor.
- The initial swelling after treatment should last 2-3 days but may last longer. Some patients experience swelling for about a week. This means that the result directly after the treatment should not be seen as the final result.
- Avoid touching the treated area for 12 hours after the treatment. After that the area can be gently washed with soap and water and light make-up can be applied.
- Until the initial swelling and redness have resolved, do not expose the treated area to intense heat (e.g. solarium and sunbathing) or extreme cold.
- If you have previously suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another eruption of cold sores.
- If you are using aspirin or any similar medication, be aware that these may increase the bruising and bleeding at the injection site.